Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A Break

Finally, a chance to sit down and catch up on reading, music, and other things that have been piling up. There was nothing to do tonight but fix dinner, then relax. Best of all, there was time to relax with.

I've settled into a nice weekday rhythm. Since I moved back to DC, it's been wake up, work, workout, work, fix dinner, sleep. I'm only now getting better at inserting some fun in between dinner and sleep. I think tomorrow I'll break it up and see a movie right after work, maybe The Science Of Sleep or Last Kiss. Both seem well suited to my frame of mind.

When you finally live alone after a long period of cohabitation, you only have yourself to blame if your life is still boring. There is no family or partner holding you back anymore, those responsibilities are gone for the most part. You can't blame them.

I could get used to eight hours sleep every night. Already looks like I'll get seven at the most tonight, but that's still good for me. Especially lately. With good night's sleep, everything seems a little better, a little easier. Even the Metro ride.

Speaking of the Metro ride, I saw a rather disturbing incident the other night. A little girl was riding with her father. She was terrified of an ad on in the car that featured an angry looking man talking into a cellphone; it was part of WMATA's campaign to discourage people from having loud conversations with people not actually in the train.

So anyway, she told her father that the man scared her. He was buried nose-deep in a newspaper, and replied "So shoot him then."

So she did, turning her tiny fist into a tiny gun, and popping a tiny cap into the scary man's large, angry head.

And that was a little...weird, to say the least. In ten or twenty years, if there is a metro serial killer popping off irate Verizon1 customers who certainly won't be hearing anyone anymore, I can offer some marginally helpful information to the authorities. If anyone believes me.

1Verizon cellphones are the only ones that work in the DC Metro, so rest easy non-Verizon cellphone users. Little Susie won't be gunning for you.

No comments: