Monday, August 06, 2007

An Adult Moment

Recently, while at the grocery store, I thought:

You're an adult now. You can buy whatever you want. Remember how you always wanted some Chocolate Eclairs? Those delicious, chocolate ice cream treats that you could only buy from the Good Humor Man because your mother would never buy them when she went grocery shopping? As a child your freezer was empty and useless, and only the rapid chime of that blessed ice cream man's bell gave you hope during those hot summer months. That's the only time you saw an Eclair. Well, there they are Mr. Adult, behind the glass doors of the frozen food section. And your mother is not here to stop you. Go ahead, champ, ring that bell.

So I bought some.

5 comments:

Irina said...

and then your arteries clogged and your head spun from the sugar shock. later you realize that your mother was right.

adult moment #2

Kris said...

irina: Um, damn.

Adam said...

I always like Jerry Seinfeld's philosophy:
"...Many times I will intentionally ruin my entire appetite. Just ruin it. And then, I call my mother up right after to tell her that I did it. 'Hello, Mom? yeah, I just ruined my entire appetite... cookies.'

"...See, because as an adult, we understand even if you ruin an appetite, there's another appetite coming right behind it. There's no danger in running out of appetites. I've got millions of them, I'll ruin them whenever I want!"

Kris said...

Adam: That's hilarious; I love Seinfeld.

minijonb said...

congrats! now go pick up that Red Ryder b-b gun and put someone's eye out as well!!! you're an adult now.

=:-)