Monday, July 14, 2008

A Couple Of Random Thoughts

  1. I now we all love our iPods/Zens/whatevers to death, and we can't imagine daily commutes - or life - without them. I count myself among the countless hordes you can identify by spotting those white earbuds, or a pair of noise canceling headphones when I'm feeling really pretentious. But you will never, ever spot me wearing those while ordering my coffee, lunch, or anything else for that matter. You won't see me doing what the prick in front of me did today: taking one bud out, and then draping it over his ear. Hole-lee FUCK, people. Look, this is not an ATM or an online order; there is an actual human being behind the counter who deserves your attention when they are trying to take your order. Especially since you will be the first person to bitch if anything is wrong. Plus - and I know this may come as a shock - your music will wait for you. It will not gleefully ignore the pause command and go on playing while wishing a fuck you at you, robbing you of your favorite song. Come one people, we are trying to have a civilization here!
  2. We have two elevators at work. Sitting in the lobby one day, I noticed the "5" above the second elevator door was burnt out. Watching the descent, the car goes to "6", disappears for a few seconds, then goes to "4". During those few seconds, I like to pretend the car is in the Twilight Zone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I admit that I am guilty of the one-ear thing in our building's Starbucks because they have so many different tactics and frankly I do NOT want to be privy to the conversations around me.

Sometimes you get all the way up to the cashier before ordering. Sometimes someone comes up to you and takes your order. Sometimes someone yells at you from a few feet away to ask your order. You never know what you're gonna get.

Usually I take both out and drape them back over my neck, but on those days with the long line? I can't be bothered.