Tuesday, January 09, 2007

New Year, New Roommate

My current roommate is moving to Virginia; her last day in lovely Columbia Heights will be Monday. She has been a great roommate, largely because she was gone for long stretches of time(weeks, not days). Really, all you need out of a roommate is someone who is quiet and doesn't hog the TV and leaves you lots of space on the couch. When your roommate is always backpacking in Guatemala or scuba-diving in the Caribbean(this is part of her job that she - gasp - loves), that's a lot of space to stretch out and enjoy the 6:30 Simpsons.

When she was here, we got along fine; even when she left the door unlocked, or open, or locked me out with the deadbolt she warned me about not locking when I moved in. She would also go to sleep with a lit candle on the window sill above the oven(which was still on). Still, a lovable woman. I'm sure I did my share of dumb and dirty(I am a boy) things, though none of them would have burned down the house.

My landlord found a new roommate for me; I met they guy, he seems decent enough. A little older than me, Mediterranean looking. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to living arrangements, which can baffle some people. As long as my roommate is relatively clean and respects my privacy, I'm cool with whoever. If my landlord is going to write an ad and do all the legwork, why get my nose in it? Everyone is going to be run by me anyway.

I'm going to have to acquire some furniture though. It was fun moving into a new apartment with all new(to me) and strange things, but they are all packed or already on their way to Virginia. Good excuse to buy a new TV I guess. And a Wii to go with it! And an Apple TV! And...and...you know, one of my New Year's resolutions was to save more money, and Nintendo and Apple are making that much harder. Time to creatively budget, which usually involves ludicrous statements like "If I just stop eating solid food for a month, this can so work!". So, I guess I'll just wait on a lot of things.

Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of doing rundown of my favorite posts of 2006, but since I only blogged for about a quarter of the year(68 posts worth, though), seems a little inane. Besides, it's getting to be mid-January, the time for 2006 lists has long passed. Right? What do you think?

Mid-January also means the time for Christmas music has passed. As a rule, I don't rate my Christmas music in iTunes. This way, it doesn't show up in my smart playlists; I only hear Christmas music when I want to. Interestingly, though, I have one exception to this rule: "White Christmas" by the Clyde McPhatter edition of The Drifters. I don't know exactly what it is about that song that sets it apart from all other Christmas music, but I never mind hearing it, no matter what time of year it is. The original, pre-Ben E. King Drifters could really sing together.

Anyway, 2007 should be an exciting year. New roommate and all.

2 comments:

minijonb said...

The idea of having to get a new roommate every few months scares me. Sounds like you have a new roomie how should work out ok, but I think back to some insane freaks I roomed with in college and I shudder.

I'm sure you know this, but craiglist is the way to go in looking for furniture.

Have fun in '07!

Kris said...

Ah, Craigslist. The bringer of roommates, furniture, used CDs, classes, hook-ups, all that is good - and some that is bad - in life.

You have a good 07 too!