Friday, April 06, 2007

Friday Fragments

  • Never underestimate the power of music. Sniffling, feeling sick to my stomach, I was going to skip my workout yesterday. I tried one last thing: a quick spin of my ":Mix(Energy)" playlist on my iPod. Several energetic songs later, and I was ready to go.


  • I hate it when a metal song(or any rock song) is very mediocre, but has a kick-ass solo in it. What do I do? Do I listen to it again just to hear the solo? I could manipulate the start/stop times in iTunes to just play the solo, and have dozens of twenty-second guitar solo tracks floating around my playlists...yeah, I'll do that. Still, it bugs me.


  • One thing I find amusing about blues music(or old Bill Cosby albums), is how nonchalantly the subject of wife beating comes up.


  • Top 5 Drifters Songs: 5. Money Honey, 4. Spanish Harlem, 3. White Christmas, 2. On Broadway, 1. There Goes My Baby


  • The other day I realized I almost never listen to a proper album while commuting; it's always a shuffled playlist. Why do you think that is? It's such a rare occurrence, the last two times are distinct memories: listening to the Drive-By-Trucker's Southern Rock Opera sometime last summer and The Replacement's Let It Be the winter before that.


  • This is a very boring week. I dreamed last night that I replaced the light bulb in my closet. I was disappointed to discover this morning I hadn't actually done it.

  • "Life is a school for angels. Love is the Teacher, so do your homework without fear. Death is merely graduation." - Jeffrey Kuehl, Starbucks customer from Wilmette, Illinois. (The Way I See It #187)

    If there's one thing I like with my morning hot chocolate, it's a reminder of my inevitable death. If Jeffrey Kuehl is correct, my death will also be pointless, since I don't believe in angels; something that would surely land me in the back of a class of the recently deceased, angels to be. What kind of homework would Love assign? I hope it's fucking. And I hope Love would grade on a curve. Anyway, this has to be one of the weirdest answers to the meaning-of-life question I've ever heard. And is it weird that this quote mentions death, and it's number is 187?

  • I totally forgot this weekend was Easter(something else that will land me in the back of angel class). Someone asked me if my girlfriend was coming down for Easter weekend, and I just stared at him and blinked. I mumbled something about her coming in late April, hoping that would help. Hey, that means today is Good Friday, which makes me think of the Black Crowes' song "Good Friday", which makes me think of Chris Robinson's now ex-wife Kate Hudson, who I saw on cable the other night in 200 Cigarettes, which also had Dave Chappelle, Christin Ricci, Paul Rudd, Courtney fucking Love, Martha Plimpton, Jay Mohr, Janeane Garofalo, Casey Affleck, and his big brother Ben Affleck...which after watching led me to conclude that the elder Affleck is a pretty good actor, especially in comedic roles. This line of thought is also why I am destined for Hell.

No comments: