Monday, September 24, 2007

White Devil White Devil

Here are some choice quotes, heard while walking with my girlfriend, in our new neighborhood:

"Look at that! White boy hit the jackpot! You know what..we don't want you! We don't want you!"

and:

"Aww, look at this integration shit...she's thinking that all white boys ain't bad, some are good...but the Devil is the Devil!"

In all seriousness, this is not a real issue; there are always idiots. 99% of people in Harlem give less than a shit that I live here, or whom I'm dating. It's more amusing than anything else. Still...I can't helped but be bothered a little. After all, I am going to be living here for at least a year...of course, it's also understandable; it's not like white people have a great reputation to bank on when it comes to moving to new places.

1 comment:

urban bohemian said...

Hm, they were shouting out comments about integration and gentrification? Sounds like you got off easy. In DC the latter might have gotten you stoned (the old school stoned, not the fun one).

I hope it's just the isolated incident here and there and not enough to turn you off your new neighborhood.