Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Freedom Brings The Funny

Goddamn J. Freedom du Lac, tell us how you really feel. This is some cold shit about Amy Winehouse from today's 'Freedom Rock' chat on Washintonpost.com:

Amy "Kottonmouth" Winehouse: Hi Freedom,

I checked out the new Amy Winehouse CD over the weekend and was very impressed. But as I listened to lyric after lyric about her over indulgence in alcohol, I couldn't help but recall the Kottonmouth Kings -- the rap/punk group who made more albums full of odes to pot use than even Cheech and Chong would have thought possible. Winehouse's stuff is definitely higher end. But it seems to me that there's a point where one's inspiration becomes one's crutch.


J. Freedom du Lac:
Hey, she sings what she knows. And to be fair, she has lyrics about other vices, as well. Ganja, for instance!

And those relationship sings are pretty great, in a scary, wouldn't-want-to-date-her kinda way. Not that I'd want to date her anyway. I mean, she sort of looks like a tranny Elvira impersonator or something. But I sure like her new album. Her earlier CD, which never came out stateside, isn't nearly as interesting.
Though I heartily disagree with him(I think Winehouse is quite fetching, and yes, my girlfriend does not read this blog), that was pretty funny. Freedom's chat usually has at least one laugh out loud moment. Here's one of my past favorites:

James Blunt in the Army?: Did he suck there too?

J. Freedom du Lac: No, he was a one-man force. He'd sing, and the enemy would drop by the hundreds.

Every Tuesday at two in the afternoon. Check it out.

2 comments:

minijonb said...

yeah, i think Amy Winehouse is really hot (my girlfriend might read this blog... i'm living dangerously) but i don't want to listen to any of her music... it might ruin the illusion.

Kris said...

I really dig "Back To Black"; just take a listen to "You Know I'm No Good" or the Ghostface remix. I don't think it will ruin the illusion too much...