Friday, March 16, 2007

Mild Mannered

I'm having a Clark Kent day. Those are the days when I wake up too tired to put in my contact lenses(which is pretty tired), and opt for my glasses instead. I had a restless night; I'm not sure why. Maybe trepidation from a task at work I had to complete today that's full of aggravating, time-consuming glitches, spread throughout the source code like little landmines. A task that kept me from a co-worker's farewell lunch. A task that -- surprise five o'clock changes pending -- is finally, thankfully done.

Maybe. Who knows.

Starbucks is starting their own music label, Hear Music. And I for one, welcome our caffeine selling overlords. While I'm not a Starbucks fanatic -- it's hard to be when you don't drink coffee -- I do love their hot chocolate and the store's general atmosphere. I've been to many independent coffee shops, and I can never tell the difference between what they shill and the offerings at Starbucks. Then again, I am a complete, utter philistine: whenever I go to an upscale restaurant with my girlfriend, I'm secretly disappointed to discover buffalo wings aren't on the appetizer menu.

I can't really object to the company's taste in music. When I peruse the CD displays at Starbucks, there's usually at least on or two albums that catch my eye. This week, they have KCRW Sounds Eclectic: The Covers Project, with live covers from Damien Rice, Robert Plant, K.D. Lang, The Magic Numbers, and others. One or two of these I already have, but still, the album glowed with a neon "buy me NOW" halo. Flipping the CD over, the halo vanished in a poof of overpricing: $14.95. A Hear Music exclusive; nowhere to be found except hanging among the green aprons of your local Starbucks. Fifteen bucks for fifteen tracks, plus some pretty liner notes courtesy of the folks at KCRW. If I buy this, am I technically supporting public radio? Yes, I am - the proceeds will help KCRW digitize their music library. That makes me feel a little less guilty...ah, fuck it - I'll buy it, then magic marker "WHITE LIBERAL YUPPIE" on my forehead. Who cares, I'll be rocking out to Robert Plant covering "Black Dog"! Wait, what?

Maybe this isn't such a great idea, then again, as The Onion shows in it's American Voices feature, it can't make the record business any worse:

"It's a sad day when the music industry gets co-opted by giant, faceless corporations that are more interested in profits than music."

I have a weekend of gaming with friends ahead of me; I love getting my nerd on with some Magic: The Gathering. It keeps my brain strong and -- being in a long distance relationship, this part is crucial -- it defends me from pretty girls.

Anyway, I'm going to get back to praying for no five o'clock changes.

No comments: