Wednesday, March 21, 2007

After A Week, That's What My Resolve Is

I gave in; I succumbed; I wilted to impulse - but I don't feel guilty. Sounds Eclectic is mine.

Am I a soulless yuppie now? Does buying one CD from Starbucks tag me as such?

Sigh. Why worry about labels -- yuppie, hipster, blondie, neo-nazi looking motherfucker -- that follow you around. Some things you have to accept about yourself. I accept that I am willing to buy overpriced CDs at Starbucks, helping a faceless corporation keep the material exclusive while allowing myself to feel a little better because public radio benefits from my purchase. I know it does; a little yellow sticker on the cover brightly told me so.

I could use a drink; I can't remember the last time I had some alcohol. That's a good thing, really, in the same sense that going to church every Sunday -- even if you don't believe in God -- is a good thing. I'm not abstaining because of health, morals, or addiction. It's just habit now. I need some social spirits. Part of it is my girlfriend doesn't drink. Like Jules said, "My girlfriend's a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian." But I do enjoy a good drink.

We'll see what the future holds.

No comments: