Sunday, August 20, 2006

Moving Back

Well, I'm back in DC. A year ago(give or take a couple of months) I moved out to the wasteland that is the suburbs. Wasteland is a little misleading...perhaps to avoid offending surbanites I should say the alternate universe that is the suburbs, seperated from city life by a ring of gas stations and strip malls, and ten asphalt lanes of something called the "beltway" that I never seriously believed existed before I moved into the suburbs.

I used to live in Foggy Bottom, which is very conviently located near the George Washington Universtiy campus. And it would have been very convient for me if I was a) a GW student or b) a doctor at the GW hospital or c) worked in Georgetown. Unfortunately, none of those statements were ever true. It was a nice neighborhod. I was surrounded by GW frat guys driving Escalades and Hummers(how these were ever parked I consider a miracle of physics, either that or you can major in magic at GW now. Or these frat guys were capable of Octopuss-like squeezing in-between stacked luxury SUVs, slipping in through the cracks of the doors and then expanding back to their original size like other invertebrate life).

I moved out of Foggy Bottom due to....unpleasantness. Not because of frat boys or SUVs, or even the constant presence of a Seven Eleven that literally was only open from seven to eleven, but due to a break-up. Well, a divorce.

But that's over now, and here I am, back in the city. Ready to get back to the city life I've missed. I've had doses off and on. Working in the city, it's hard not to. Visiting my girlfriend in New York has also helped; there is no place like Manhattan.

What to do, what to do. So many possibilities, I don't know where to start. All of my stuff has been moved. I'm ready.

Hmmm. I think my first act will be to invest in some curtains. Like so many city dwellers, I have the luxury of a peeping tom. While disgusting, I can't help but feel sorry for him. I replaced a rather attractive girl here in this room, and now he gets to watch my white irish ass make it's way from my bed to the shower. And when I say white, I mean white. If the light catches it just right this bastard might go blind, and then he won't be able to peep on anyone.

Anyway, now that I've shared that, I think it's bed time.

No comments: