Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Low Tolerance

Drinking is not like riding a bike. I discovered this when a friend and I went to Busboys and Poets Saturday night

My usual drink is Stoli Raspberry Vodka and cranberry juice. Vodka has long been my favorite liquor to get nicely fucked up without being fucked up. After flashing the bartender a twenty to get some quick service, I started a tab with my favorite drink in hand.

We had a seat on a very comfortable couch, and I took my first sip. Strong, very strong. Perfect for a first drink. I sat and talked with my friend about life, women, and steadily finished the vodka and some, maybe a little, maybe just a pinch of cranberry juice, off. After reaching what I'm sure was an insightful point about something, I announced I was getting another drink. I sat up.

At that moment I realized I was a fucking lightweight. One drink, one stinking drink and my head was swimming a little as I walked back to the bar. Alcohol impairs you the second you sip it, but usually I at least don't feel impaired until after a couple drinks. One drink, one stinkin' drink.

I ordered another. I needed to get back on the wagon. A wagon full of vodka and whiskey.

A year ago, I was downing shot after shot of 151 without blinking. One drink. This must be what gym rats feel like after a long layoff, I thought. They think:

"A 7:30 mile? Are you kidding me? This thing is broken."

While I think:

"That drink was obviously drugged, secretly, even as I watched every step in it's creation."

So I did the drinking equivalent of two-a-days and had a third drink. Wouldn't have made me sweat a year ago. And it didn't this time (though drunk people can't be trusted to know how drunk they are). I settled into a nice buzz. Nicely fucked up without being completely fucked up. Only three drinks, making me a cheaper date.

Still, it bothered me a little. I know it's a little juvenile and frattish to associate drinking ability with some kind of pride, but dammit, I'm Irish. I have stereotypes to uphold. Things to forget. I'm sure, with a steady diet of happy hours, I can be back to my eight drink minimum. Of course, since I'm a lot happier than I was a year ago, three drinks should be fine.

2 comments:

urban bohemian said...

Is it just that you've been a little more disciplined when it comes to diet and fitness?

I did the whole "I'm going to get in shape" for about 9 months one year, I was pretty strict. At the end of it, I was such a cheap date that it was hard to enjoy going out unless I was sipping very slowly.

Thankfully that's gone now and I'm back to being an old lush!

Kris said...

It may be the diet and fitness, I was almost 15 pounds heavier then.

That, plus I haven't really been a "drinker" in a while.

Oh, and remember it's "older" not "old". ;)