Monday, September 25, 2006

Weekend Recap

Friday was slightly interesting.

It's a bad idea to argue about politics with your cab driver. The driver has your life in his hands, and people are capable of doing crazy things when they disagree about which white guy in a suit should be in office. I don't want to die because I say the wrong thing about the wrong white guy, or the Iraq War, wiretapping, stem cells, or immigration(wow, no problem coming up with hot topics, what a wonderful world we live in!).

So I was a little apprehensive when my cab driver started talking about President Bush.

"Did you hear what Chavez said?"

"...Yeah."

"That Bush was the Devil?"

"..Yeah."

"And that he knew nothing about politics?!?"

"...Yeah."

"And that he was stupid?"

"...Yeah," while I thought I'm not falling for your cunning bait, smart guy. You're not finding out how I feel about Bush until either a) I know how you feel about him or b) I'm safely out of your yellow death trap.

He never tipped his hand, the sharp bastard. Luckily, a really bad accident happened right in front of us.

"People in such a hurry! Broad daylight! No reason!"

"...Yeah."

"This isn't a highway we are on!"

"...Yeah."

"Is everyone just in so much of a hurry?"

"...Yeah."

What? He could have been tricking me into confronting his pro-accident beliefs.

Anyway, I was traveling by cab to a seminar on some really boring shit Microsoft SharePoint. The seminar was very forgettable. Afterward, though, I was astounded by the assault of bull-shit smiles and fake handshakes that networking forced upon me.

Doesn't it hurt to be fake at all? I wish these people would just say 'Will knowing you make me any money?' and get it over with.

Networking is my least favorite aspect of the 'professional' working life. I'm sure it's part of every industry, so there is no escaping it. I wish I was rich. That would be my favorite perk: no need to be anywhere near any networking activities.

Saturday I went with my brother on a visit to The Arts Institute of Washington. My brother is 19, already bored with college(he is no longer attending), and I'm worried about his future. I want him to be successful, very successful; I think he has enormous potential.

Actually, that's a half truth. The wanting him to be successful part, not the potential part. He does have a lot of talent. What I really want is for him to be happy.

The waiting room we, er, waited in was mildly hot. This made making fun of the student work playing on the big screen TV next to the receptionist's desk an essential activity. We mocked stiff animation and childish writing for a while.

Most of the work, though, was very good. I was hoping my brother would be inspired. As it turns out, that wasn't a problem. The problem is money.

Even with financial aid, student loans, grants and scholarships, attending this school will be a tough swing for my family. I'm going to try my best to rally him and them behind him, but in the end I know it comes down to how bad he wants this.

I wish I was rich. Sending my brother to school would actually be my favorite perk.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah money's a killer ain't it? But it's all worth it if he follows his dreams....

after he checks out westwood he'll have two nice schools to choose from.

just remember this...if he goes to my school while i'm there THE WORLD WILL EXPLODE!!!!!